The purpose of the EXCEL program is to increase student success in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) discipline. To accomplish this, EXCEL offers the following benefits to EXCEL participants.
- Assistance transitioning to university life and the student’s selected STEM major through the STEM Seminar sequence (FTIC) or STEM Seminar: Immersive Transfer Experience (Transfer),
- An EXCEL Academic Advisor to assist in the planning of academic schedule,
- The feeling of a small college experience while they pursue a STEM degree in a large university (UCF currently has approximately 69,000 students),
- Priority scheduling for the common EXCEL courses (Math and STEM Seminar), as well as priority discipline specific courses (Transfer),
- An EXCEL Center dedicated to the needs of the EXCEL students where free math and science tutoring will be provided,
- An undergraduate research experience is available for eligible students (3.0 UCF GPA) in the spring semester of the second year (FTIC). We encourage admitted transfer students to apply for this opportunity as early as their second term. This experience will be supervised by EXCEL faculty and will lead to other rewarding experiences at UCF (e.g., RAMP, McNair programs),
- On-campus housing to incoming freshmen in a EXCEL block (FTIC ONLY)*
* EXCEL students can apply for on-campus housing through the UCF Housing Office. Once a housing agreement is received, students can complete the EXCEL Living Learning Community application for consideration for placement in the EXCEL housing block.