The mission of the EXCEL program is to increase student success in the first two years of their college career in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) discipline. To accomplish this mission EXCEL offers the following benefits to EXCEL participants.
- The feeling of a small college experience (400 EXCEL students will be recruited every year) while they pursue a STEM degree in a large university (UCF currently has approximately 69,000 students),
- Assistance confirming your STEM major through STEM Seminar
- On-campus housing to incoming freshmen in a EXCEL block (*)
- Priority scheduling for the common EXCEL courses (EXCEL math and STEM Seminar),
- An EXCEL Center, dedicated for the needs of the EXCEL students where free math and science tutoring will be provided,
- An EXCEL Academic Advisor to assist in the planning of academic schedule,
- An undergraduate research experience for eligible students (3.0 UCF GPA) in the spring semester of the second year which will be supervised by EXCEL faculty and will lead to other rewarding experiences at UCF (e.g., RAMP, McNair programs),
* EXCEL students can apply for on-campus housing through the UCF Housing Office. Once a housing agreement is received, students can complete the EXCEL Living Learning Community application for consideration for placement in the EXCEL housing block.